Saturday, January 17, 2009

I Will Raise My Hand - Poem

I Will Raise My Hand

As I stand near the radio or TV, repeating the words
That some said we as a people would never say
The Oath of Office of the President of the U.S.A.
With each word spoken, a thought of those not here
Will come to mind with visions of struggles and lives lost
Over the centuries, face and places never to be forgotten
My raised hand will be for them too and the words
For those not yet here who will find their place
Maybe a little better in a world where finally, yes finally
We can say not in vain, for change has arrived….

In “my swearing in” as I hope others will also do
as a reminder that our work in rebuilding a country
that out Ancestors built with sweat, blood and tears over years
will be a different work, a work of making decisions that
We long knew we could do. It is now our time
to redirect the Dream and make it a reality as we work
together as one Nation, yes we can, yes we will and yes we must,
I do solemnly swear…

Written by Haywood Fennell, Sr.
January 17th 2009
Boston, MA.

No comments: